Do you meet people who think bleach is a good cleaner and disinfectant?
Below, we have compiled the wrong information about users’ bleach and some answers that experts of the subject can use to educate customers and users.
Some Definitions You Should Know Before:
Organic dirty surfaces: These are surfaces contaminated with food residue, skin oils, blood and other body fluids. Basically everything that has human contact is assumed to be organic dirty.
Bleach: Generic name commonly given to water solution of a chemical called sodium hypochlorite. Normal household bleach contains 5.5% sodium hypochlorite.
EPA: American Environmental Protection Agency
Answer: Bleach kills germs only if cleaned before the surface. Bleach quickly loses its disinfectant properties. Although the surfaces exposed to organic wastes do not appear dirty, the environment may be dense microbes. If you do not pre-clean, you may not be killing germs with bleach. This makes disinfecting with bleach a two-step process.
A Better Solution: EPA registered hypochlorous disinfectants are not inactivated by organic soil and pre-cleaning is not usually necessary. This ensures that disinfection is a one-step process.
Answer: Bleach only looks cheap. To kill the germs, you must clean the surface in advance. Now, each cleaning process is a two-step process that increases the time that needs to be effectively cleaned. The sale price of bleach in a retail market is about 6 TL per liter. The recommended use of bleach is by diluting it at 1:10. This costs 55 cents per liter.
A Better Solution: The estimated use cost of a properly diluted hypochlorous disinfectant is 1 cent.
When comparing this price with bleach, additionally consider the pre-cleaning phase.
Answer: It does not really clean the bleach. It oxidizes some organic dirt but does not effectively remove it. Also, using bleach instead of a normal cleanser can be toxic to humans and the environment.
A Better and Greener Solution: As a community, we use disinfectants to effectively kill every bacteria on every surface. But remember that most bacteria are beneficial bacteria and are essential for life. Disinfectants are germicidal agents that should be used only when necessary. The most contacted surfaces should be regularly disinfected. Regular cleaning of many surfaces using a green certified hypochlorous cleaner is a more effective and environmentally safe approach. Remember, think about the environment before disinfecting!
Answer: Bleach is almost not safe. It is toxic, reactive and can destroy surfaces. We all know what bleaches can do to fabrics. The fumes released during this bleaching is basically chlorine gas. In order to create a toxic gas that can be fatal, it is sufficient to mix the bleach with the spirit of ammonia, vinegar, acidic toilet bowl cleaner or salt.
A Better Solution: Hypochlorous-based disinfectants are safe for use on all hard and soft surfaces. Its natural compound does not emit fumes, so it is odorless. They are not reactive with other common cleaning chemical compounds and do not react, which makes them safer to use.